June 23rd is recognized globally as International Women in Engineering Day (INWED). For the second consecutive year, we’re celebrating virtually due to COVID-19 restrictions. To salute our women #EngineeringHeroes and their ability to shape and support the world around them through their work and passions, we’re highlighting Softvisioners from around the globe and tapping into their brilliant minds with a fun get-to-know-you questionnaire.
Devika Naram, a senior data engineer from Vancouver, Canada, unlocks her engineering superpowers and shows us the interests that best represent her—engineering and enjoying her outside-of-work passions. Let’s get to know her!
- What is your engineering origin story? How did you discover that engineering was your calling?
– I found work at a multinational corporation after graduation. I was a computer science student, so my skills and capabilities are in the same field. I love my job.
- Nintendo or Sega?
- What would you consider your engineering-related superpower? What skill do you have that makes you stand out from the crowd?
– I’m great at understanding the problem rather than solving it without the proper background.
- Apple or Microsoft?
- If you could have a comic book-inspired superpower, what would it be?
– The Miraculous Ladybug’s lucky charm!
- What excites you about your chosen career?
– New challenges, new people, new projects, and brand new deadlines all excite me.
- Would you rather fly or be invisible?
- What’s your biggest passion outside of work?
– Drawing doodles and nature photography
- Beach or Mountains?
- What piece of advice would you give to girls interested in STEM?
– Believe in yourself, and know that you can be patient and assertive at the same time.