The freight shipping industry is in the throes of massive change. E-commerce has decreased the average length of haul, and customers have become accustomed to swift last-mile delivery. Freight volume exceeds truck capacity. And trucker owner/operators and carriers are eager for solutions reducing costly “deadhead” miles driven with an empty load.
To adapt to rapid change, a leading North American trucking and transportation realized it needed to modernize its core operational systems and infrastructure. To rapidly build digital solutions increasing operational efficiency and creating an appealing experience for shippers and truckers, the company needed to replace on-premises infrastructure and waterfall development with scalable, cloud-based infrastructure, a modern technology stack and Agile ways of working.
The company engaged us to collaboratively build a modern cloud platform and introduce Agile methodology to its developers. We built a microservices-based platform on Microsoft Azure with modules for modules for Order Management, Pricing, Rating, Compensation, Assets and Yards, Compensation and more.
The platform represents 1,200 person years of effort. Over the course of the engagement we deployed more than 400 developers who worked in pods—self-contained teams containing six to eight developers, testers and architects—in three U.S. locations and India. To coordinate the work across multiple locations we used the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe). During the engagement the client’s IT organization gained experience with Agile methods and tools by working side-by-side with our developers and attending workshops.
The new digital platform significantly improves operational efficiency:
- 80% more electronic orders accepted automatically
- 40% more carrier payments processed automatically
- Up to 10 days advance visibility for account representatives to create quotes
- Improved supply chain collaboration with trading partners
- Reduced operational costs across the value chain
What’s more, our client now has the digital foundation to swiftly build new applications that address emerging market needs. One is an artificial intelligence-powered digital marketplace that connects shippers and truckers to reduce deadhead miles. Similar to rideshare apps, the digital marketplace includes a mobile app used to bid on loads, view load location in real time, rate facilities and receive payments. A strong competitive advantage, the digital marketplace would have been difficult or impossible to build without the underlying technology platform and Agile processes.
AT A GLANCE
- Leading North American trucking and transportation company was saddled by legacy infrastructure and waterfall development
- To adapt to significant industry changes and increase agility, the company needed modern cloud infrastructure and Agile practices
- We built a microservices-based platform on Microsoft Azure and introduced Agile tools and ways of working
- Operational efficiency improved, with 80% more electronic orders accepted automatically and 40% more carrier payments processed automatically
- The customer uses the new platform to build and deploy a digital marketplace that matches shippers and truckers, saving time and reducing fuel and carbon emissions
 As E-Commerce Sales Soar, Trucking’s Average Length of Haul Drops, FleetOwner, February 5, 2019
 Trucking’s Tight Capacity Squeezes U.S. Businesses, Wall Street Journal, August 9, 2018
Latest posts by Softvision Team
- Matei Neagos to Participate in THE Live - November 24, 2020
- XPRIZE and Cognizant Announce Pandemic Response Challenge to Safely Reopen Societies and Restart Economies Around the World - November 17, 2020
- Authority Magazine’s Women of The C-Suite - November 12, 2020